Wednesday 9 July 2014

This and that in northern Ontario

I'm back in the north for another week and a bit. Unfortunately this will be the last of my breeding bird surveys until next year, but such is life!

On one of our sites (near Parry Sound) I lugged around my camera for an afternoon. That proved to be a good idea as several dragonflies made themselves photogenic, despite the mid-day lighting. At any given point at least a couple deerflies were hovering around me, but luckily the dragonflies made short work of them! I photgraphed three different species chowing down on deerflies that they snagged above my head.

Om nom nom

The most abundant dragonfly, as is the case pretty much in any semi-open habitat in this part of Ontario during summer, is the Chalk-fronted Corporal. These guys (and gals) were also quite common in this habitat type (edge habitat consisting of rock barrens and mixed pine/oak/maple woodland). I believe they are Slaty Skimmers, but I don't have a decent dragonfly guide with me at the moment!







At one point I pished in a male Pine Warbler who checked us out.



Northern Ontario just wouldn't be the same if there weren't fanatical religious signs on the side of the road. This has been my favorite so far! Unfortunately I haven't had any Virgin Mary sightings on this trip, real or otherwise.



Speaking of signs, here is one from some small town somewhere west of Sudbury. I wonder what is the story behind this one, and how Wife feels about her name not being included!



Somewhere an hour or two north of Thessalon we came across this bear along the roadside. I have to say, Black Bears are one of my favorite species that call Ontario home, but rarely do I get such a good look at one! Almost all of my Black Bear encounters are of individuals I come across in the bush or along a road, and every single one high-tails it out of there as soon as it sees me. This one was probably hoping for a free meal...







My favorite one of the group.



That's all for now!

1 comment:

Brent Turcotte said...

The first dragonfly is a Four-Spotted Skimmer. This species is widespread -- it seems to occur in almost every site I visit. Kinda like Black-Capped Chickadees in the winter. The other species is Slaty Skimmer with the first a male and the other two females.

As for the Virgin Mary sign, we have one near North Bay and I bet that even devote religious people would shake their heads after seeing it.